Involve the local schoolchildren and volunteers in the overall maintenance of the mountain bike trails network, over 100 km of built trails which link eight UNESCO World Heritage Site villages to Sighisoara, in order to support the benefits generated by the trails in the local communities.
- Improving the general condition of a distance of 100 km along the Scroafa Valley river by selectively collecting the litter, with the direct support and involvement of local school children and adult volunteers;
- Raising awareness on the importance of proper litter disposal and the negative impact plastic and other discarded materials have on nature by creating “PETaBear”, a recycling bear, a “monument” created from waste;
- Improvement of the physical condition of the mountain bike trails network by restoring a minimum of 20 km of the bike trail;
- Improving connectivity along the trail by the repairing of the bridge over the Scroafa river.
- Promotion of the project’s messages and its results by creating a public event involving a treasure hunt on bikes and the installation of wood info-panels in the villages of Crit and Bunesti.
- A minimum of 100 kg of waste collected in 100 km along the river, and properly recycled/disposed of 50 schoolchildren and 20 adult volunteers directly involved in the project’s activities
- PETaBear created and displayed for the general public
- 20 km of mountain bike trails cleaned and restored
- 1 bridge repaired
- Public campaign to promote the project and its results created and disseminated
- Over 10.000 people become aware of the project’s results
DS Smith Charitable Foundation supports charities engaged in conservation of the environment and providing training or educational opportunities.
DS Smith is a leading provider of sustainable packaging solutions, paper products and recycling services worldwide, with over 80 years of experience, operating in more than 30 different countries, and employing over 30,000 people.